Re: input methods for mathematical glyphs

From: André A . Gomes
Subject: Re: input methods for mathematical glyphs
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2021 19:41:27 +0000

Leo Butler <leo.butler@umanitoba.ca> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I have, for years, used abbrevs for entering greek letters (and several
> other commonly-used symbols in math). As I have learned how to use
> latex's support for other unicode math glyphs, I can see that my old
> solution does not scale and I would like to find an input method to
> easily input something like:
>
> #+begin_src latex
> Let $𝒯 ⊂ 𝐑$, $𝒯 ≠ ∅$, be a null set...
> #+end_src
>
> I used C-x 8 RET to do this. I am ignorant of any input method that
> would do what I want (ucs may be the closest, but it only uses 4 digit
> hex, and who wants to memorize 4-5 digit hex numbers?)
>
> Suggestions or thoughts?

To my mind such a system/configuration lies at the keyboard level.  The
OS could provide another layer on top, but it shouldn't be necessary.
The reality is that we're stuck with ANSI and ISO standards that aren't
sane today.  The experts please correct me if I'm wrong.

For example, AFAIK, there's no way to program a keyboard to insert
characters from the russian alphabet directly and working for all major
OSs.  Why do I have select a input method on the OS level?  It's
frustrating.  At most, you might be able to insert arbitrary unicode
characters for a single specific OS.  And I own a programmable keyboard
that runs the flexible QMK firmware.  I find it unfortunate that you
need the OS to translate keycodes.  Historically, this is understandable
since the US and ascii led the way.

Emacs can provide some sanity in this department, since it's input
method system is quite developed.  And then you'll have smth that works
for any OS.

I have no concrete advice to give you.  As Eli mentions, there's the TeX
input method (that I never tried).  Even it doesn't fit your needs, you
could define your own system.

--
André A. Gomes
"Free Thought, Free World"