Re: Gnus: How to reference an article from a gmane mailing list

From: Kévin Le Gouguec
Date: Sun, 05 Dec 2021 19:56:26 +0100

Hi Dieter,

Assuming the "references" you're interested in are message IDs,

"H. Dieter Wilhelm" <dieter@duenenhof-wilhelm.de> writes:

> But when I would like to refer to a post in another threat?

While reading a post (or "article" in Gnusspeak) in the summary buffer,
you can hit "C-u g" to see the raw message; somewhere in there you'll
see this header:

Not sure if Gnus has a keybinding to copy them without going through
"C-u g"; FWIW I've written this small helper:

(defun my/kill-message-id ()
  (interactive)
  (kill-new (mail-header-message-id (gnus-summary-article-header))))

I haven't tried it, but you could probably also add "^Message-Id:" to
gnus-visible-headers.

Last option that I know of: if you're looking at the mailing list's web
archives, e.g. here:

https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-gnu-emacs/2021-12/msg00103.html

You'll see a comment in the HTML source with this same message ID:

>                                                             And I would
> like you to be able to read (or at least find) this article as well.
> How to do that?

Two ways that I know of:

- Gnus adds buttons on top of message IDs, so either clicking those or
  TAB'ing your way to them and hitting RET will fetch the corresponding
  article,

- "j" in the summary buffer will prompt for a message ID and fetch it.

Hope that helps.