Re: Faces of modeline and Gnus headers do not obey global setting any mo

From: Robert Pluim
Subject: Re: Faces of modeline and Gnus headers do not obey global setting any more
Date: Fri, 03 Dec 2021 11:42:33 +0100

    Torsten> Hallöchen!
    Torsten> I just upgraded to current Git Emacs (commit c66eb52453) from
    Torsten> October Emacs (commit 241574375d).  Now, the modeline and the Gnus
    Torsten> email headers in the article view have a different font from the
    Torsten> rest.  In particular, a .emacs only containing

    Torsten> (set-face-attribute 'default nil :font "Ubuntu Mono" :height 140)

    Torsten> used to change the modeline.  However with current Git Emacs, it
    Torsten> does not affect it.

    Torsten> I assume this is a deliberate change, therefore I did not file a
bug
    Torsten> report but ask here how to handle this best?

>From etc/NEWS

+++
** New face 'mode-line-active'.
This inherits from the 'mode-line' face, but is the face actually used
on the mode lines (along with 'mode-line-inactive').

---
** The mode line now uses a proportional font by default.
To get the old monospaced mode line back, customize the
'mode-line-active' and 'mode-line-inactive' faces not to inherit from
the 'variable-pitch' face, or add this to your "~/.emacs":

  (set-face-attribute 'mode-line-active nil :inherit 'mode-line)
  (set-face-attribute 'mode-line-inactive nil :inherit 'mode-line)

---
*** Gnus now uses a variable-pitch font in the headers by default.
To get the monospace font back, you can put something like the
following in your .gnus file:

    (set-face-attribute 'gnus-header nil :inherit 'unspecified)

Robert