Re: Annoying arrow key scroll behaviour in emacs 27

From: Steinar Bang
Subject: Re: Annoying arrow key scroll behaviour in emacs 27
Date: Thu, 02 Dec 2021 18:21:05 +0100

> Did you look at the configuration of MobaXTerm,

As far as I've been able to.  Scroll_lock doesn't figure any place in
the keyboard config I've seen.

I've also googled all angles I could think about with MobaXTerm and key
events, without finding anything useful.

> whatever that is?

It's a Windows X11 server combined with a terminal app with putty
compatible SSH support, and built in X11 SSH tunneling as well as a lot
of other stuff I haven't stumbled over yet.

It's a commercial program, but has a free-as-in-gratis version for
personal usage.

I use MobaXTerm, because a virus checker, over which I have no control,
has taken a dislike to cygwin X11, and the other X11 server I have been
using, XMing, went commercial in 2019.

For the most part MobaXTerm has worked well, and been more stable than
cygwin X.

This scroll-lock issue is the first strange behaviour I have seen.

> Maybe it is it that produces those Scroll_Lock keypresses, for some
> reason?

Yes, it seems likely.  But I have no idea how to verify that this is the
case.

> If you cannot figure this out, just rebind Scroll_Lock 'ignore.

Hm... like so?
 (global-set-key [Scroll_lock] 'ignore)

I tried that in .emacs.  Emacs doesn't fail on start, but it didn't help
either.  Emacs started with that setting, still toggles scroll-lock-mode
every time I select the window.

Thanks!

- Steinar