Re: Gnus and multiple Email servers

From: Eric Abrahamsen
Subject: Re: Gnus and multiple Email servers
Date: Wed, 01 Dec 2021 11:26:45 -0800

Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
<help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org> writes:

> Eric Abrahamsen wrote:
>
>> Okay, I think for David's benefit this is the important
>> part: Michael is storing the incoming messages in an nnml
>> select method, named "archive". It's entirely possible that
>> this select method only exists because of Gnus defaults, and
>> Michael didn't configure anything at all [...]
>
> I have
>
>   (setq gnus-message-archive-group "nnml:mail.sent")
>
> but also a nnfolder "archive" server that is empty.
>
> Maybe unrelated on both accounts ... eh

Not entirely unrelated, in that your archive-group setting is sufficient
to cause Gnus to create a default nnml select method for you. That could
potentially contribute to the confusion, if people are trying to
understand where all their select methods come from, and don't know why
they have an nnml method that they never configured.