Re: How to debug memory leaks

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: How to debug memory leaks
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2021 10:11:02 -0400

> I think you mentioned a while ago that you use shell-mode.  In that mode
> Emacs keeps a buffer with all of the shell activity in it.  By default
> it doesn't remove anything, at least on my Emacs.

The `M-x memory-report` in Emacs's Git version makes these issues
immediately visible.

Sadly, in my experience the kinds of excessive memory use problems
people experience come from elsewhere (such as the occasional need to
load all the fonts that exist in your system to try and figure out if
you have a font that can display that damn emoticon that your brother
found cute).

        Stefan