Unable to a new branch with VC commit

From: Tero Mononen
Subject: Unable to a new branch with VC commit
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2021 22:46:54 +0200

Dear Emacs people,

Most likely I'm doing something wrong but I don't know what.

I haven't managed to create a new Mercurial branch in Emacs. According to manual [1] it should happen with C-u C-x v v. It does request "New revision or backend". I give name of the new branch, and then commit changes. Surprisingly, commit ends up to the active branch instead of the new one. I.e., it completely ignores my input.

I tested the same procedure also with Git and the result was also the same.

My workaround is to change branch manually with "hg branch" command and then use VC in emacs. But, I'm wondering how to do the whole process with VC.

[1] https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/emacs/Creating-Branches.html#Creating-Branches