Re: "grouping" buffers

From: Jean-Christophe Helary
Subject: Re: "grouping" buffers
Date: Sun, 31 May 2020 11:45:34 +0900

> On May 28, 2020, at 7:58, Jakub Jankiewicz <jcubic@onet.pl> wrote:
>
>> Short of running multiple emacs sessions, is there a way to "group" buffers
>> in a frame so as to have multiple frames with different contents (and
>> possibly shared buffers) ?
>
> You can have single instance of Emacs and multiple Frames (which other
> programs call windows) those windows can have Emacs windows (which other
> programs call panels). Every frame will share bufferes, because it will be the
> same instance of Emacs.

I understand basic use of frames.

First, I'm asking if there is a way to group buffers in frames. So that frame A
works on buffers 1-2-3, frame B has buffers 4-5-6, frame C has buffers 1-4-7-8
for ex.

Second, the utilities for manipulating frames and buffers within frames are
extremely limited. There does not seem to be a way to "name" a given frame, or
to call a frame to the front for example, like I'd call a buffer to the front.
There does not seem a way to specify a frame to send commands to either.

Let me give you an example.

On macos, with AppleScript, in most applications (but 1 frame = 1 window = 1
buffer), I can access the name of a given frame, I change its name, I can call
it to the front or to the back, I can modify its contents, I can rearrange the
size and placement of each frame, etc.

I can't work on "buffers" because the concept does not exist, but I think you
see what I mean.

I can't seem to be able to do that in emacs for emacs frames.

--
Jean-Christophe Helary @brandelune
http://mac4translators.blogspot.com