Re: Running gdb in emacs.

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Running gdb in emacs.
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2020 17:09:03 +0200

> From: aprekates <aprekates@posteo.net>
> Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2020 11:27:03 +0200
>
> I found those two basic ways to start gdb in emacs:
>
> 1.  M-x gdb
>
> 2.  M-x gud-gdb
>
> In the first case i pass the  --interpreter=mi option to enable the
> gdb-mi and i can use various other windows like stackframes, registers ,
> output etc.
>
> In the second case i have only the source and a gdb window in user
> interface. If i give  --interpreter=mi after M-x gud-gdb i get only a
> gdb windows which seems to work in machine mode.
>
> So i dont understand what is the proposed use case of using M-x gud-gdb
> since it seems it offers a basic debugging enviroment.

"M-x gud-gdb" is the old way of running GDB under Emacs.  It relies on
a GDB feature, called "annotations", which is deprecated by the GDB
developers, and could be removed from GDB at any moment.

"M-x gdb" with all its features was written to be the main method of
running GDB from Emacs.  We suggest that you use only "M-x gdb",
unless you have a very good reason, like some version of GDB that
doesn't support the mi interface well.

> Also M-x gdb does it use GUD?

I don't think I understand what you are asking.  Please elaborate.