Re: grep-find: first ':" char is a zero

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: grep-find: first ':" char is a zero
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2019 14:36:49 -0500

jonetsu <jonetsu@teksavvy.com> writes:

> On Mon, 25 Nov 2019 10:09:29 -0500
> Noam Postavsky <npostavs@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 25 Nov 2019 at 09:49, jonetsu <jonetsu@teksavvy.com> wrote:
>>
>>  [...]
>>
>> Yes, customize grep-use-null-filename-separator to nil.
>
> Thanks, this will be quite helpful.
>
> In the meanwhile I found that by using hexl-mode on a saved version of
> the grep-find results and subsequently exiting hexl-mode, the 0
> character will be shown as caret + @.  It then becomes easy to do a
> regular search-replace.
>
> Having grep-find not using a 0 character is the most direct solution.

... but it might lead to problems with filenames containing white
space or other strange chars. Now that you know it is a NUL, you can
use `C-s C-q C-<space>' to search for it if you want to keep the --null
option on grep.

--
Nick

"There are only two hard problems in computer science: cache
invalidation, naming things, and off-by-one errors." -Martin Fowler