Re: Assigning extra mouse buttons (eg. MX Ergo trackball)

From: Michael Heerdegen
Subject: Re: Assigning extra mouse buttons (eg. MX Ergo trackball)
Date: Tue, 05 Nov 2019 12:59:39 +0100

jonetsu <jonetsu@teksavvy.com> writes:

> Hello,
>
> Got a 'new' Logitech MX Ergo trackball ... Is there a way to assign the
> two extra buttons within emacs ?  When pressed emacs shows 'mouse-8' and
> 'mouse-9'.  Nothing much so far but I'd like to assign them to page up
> and page down.

In principle you can assign mouse events using the same functions as for
"normal" keys, e.g.

  (global-set-key [mouse-8] #'your-command-here)

If you want to scroll with mouse-8 and mouse-9 but with a different
scroll amount, you probably want to bind those to `mwheel-scroll' (like
the normal scroll wheel mouse keys) and setup things in a way that the
different scroll amount is used.  You would probably need to advice the
command `mwheel-scroll' though because the option
`mouse-wheel-scroll-amount' only looks for modifiers but not for the
base event.

> Another feature that could be useful is that the scroll wheel can also
> be clicked sideways, one click when titled left, one click when tilted
> right.  In this case however emacs does not show anything at all in its
> status bar.
>
> xev will show these as buttons 6 and 7:

> Is it possible to bring buttons 6 and 7 to emacs ?

I don't know.  Normally any event gets through to Emacs unless the
window manager or something else is already catching it.

Michael.