Running graphical applications from emacs

From: Felix Weilbach
Subject: Running graphical applications from emacs
Date: Fri, 1 Nov 2019 22:21:56 +0100

Hello,

if I try to run a graphical application like firefox from emacs with for example shell-command or from shell, ehsell etc. I get the following error:

Unable to init server: Verbindung ist gescheitert: Verbindungsaufbau abgelehnt

Error: cannot open display :1

The first error translated from german to english means Connection failed: connection refused

If I open a normal shell and execute echo $DISPLAY, I get :0. However if I execute the command in emacs with DISPLAY=:0 firefox, I get same error Error: cannot open display :0.

I'm running on Arch Linux with KDE 5.17.2 on X11. My emacs version is 27.0.50.

Thanks in advance for any help with this problem.

Felix