Slow redisplay

From: Ergus
Subject: Slow redisplay
Date: Sun, 25 Aug 2019 12:32:51 +0200

Hi:

With the actual master branch I am observing a very important lagging in
redisplay after being using emacs for 3-4 of hours. The rediplay happens
like in stop motion speed, I can see the redisplay line being updated
slowly and it takes sometimes like 1 seconds (from the top to the bottom
of the screen) in my best laptop.

(I only use emacs in tui) So the only solution after a while is to close
emacs and reopen again.

I used to have these lines:

(defun my/minibuffer-setup-hook ()
 (setq gc-cons-threshold most-positive-fixnum))

(defun my/minibuffer-exit-hook ()
 (setq gc-cons-threshold 800000))

(add-hook 'minibuffer-setup-hook #'my/minibuffer-setup-hook)
(add-hook 'minibuffer-exit-hook #'my/minibuffer-exit-hook)

In my config, but after removing them (because someone suggested that
the redisplay lagging could be related with the gc) the problem is still
there (less critical, but still there after some hours).

Any suggestion to find where is the issue comming from? Or what should I
see to make a better report?

On Sat, Aug 24, 2019 at 11:30:01PM +0200, Jean Louis wrote:
* Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> [2019-08-24 21:04]:
> Date: Sat, 24 Aug 2019 20:50:46 +0200
> From: Jean Louis <bugs@gnu.support>
> Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
>
> * Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> [2019-08-24 20:26]:
> > > Date: Sat, 24 Aug 2019 19:37:11 +0200
> > > From: Jean Louis <bugs@gnu.support>
> > > Cc: GNU Emacs Help <help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
> > >
> > > - use simple editing of buffer with kill-buffer-hook, if I can come
> > >   back to initial program execution, as program execution must be wait
> > >   for editing to finish, I do not know how
> >
> > A command such as "M-x loop-continue" (possibly bound globally to some
> > key sequence) should be enough to resolve the "come back to initial
> > program execution" part.
>
> I do not have loop-continue, is it in some package?

That's a command you need to write.  It is supposed to go to the next
field and generate a buffer for the user to edit that field.

I know what you mean. But command that handles next fields is in
the depth 0, I just need to return to senior function, or find
way how to wait on find-file

Jean