Re: How to make emacs stop trying to load /home/sb/.emacs after su to ro

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: How to make emacs stop trying to load /home/sb/.emacs after su to root?
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2019 12:33:52 -0400

>> You said this is new behavior.  Are you sure of that?
> Compared to emacs 25 on debian 9.9, this is new behaviour.

I can't find any relevant change in Emacs in that timeframe.
OTOH it seems that the `su` that comes with Debian may have changed
between Debian 9 and Debian 10 (tho whether you see the change or not
might depend on whether you did an upgrade or a fresh install).

https://wiki.debian.org/NewInBuster says:

    The `su` command in buster is provided by the `util-linux` source
    package, instead of the `shadow` source package, and no longer alters
    the `PATH` variable by default.

the change mentioned doesn't explain the difference you're seeing, but
maybe this other `su` has other changes (w.r.t $LOGNAME and $USER)
which do.

        Stefan "who always uses `su -`"