Re: the future of the computer world (was: Re: Google Gmail mailing list

From: Emanuel Berg
Date: Tue, 28 May 2019 07:21:14 +0200

tomas wrote:

> Facebook bought whatsapp for $16 billion
> (that is 16 * 10^9 dollars). How do you think
> they are going to monetize it? By letting
> their users change providers painlessly?
>
> Likewise they bought instagram for
> $1 billion.

Wait, don't tell me! That's

$ echo $(( 1 * 10**9 ))
1000000000

dollars, right?

> They are /betting their farm/ on closed
> platforms. What do you think their
> shareholders think about e-mail?

I don't know, this monetizing and shareholders
aspect isn't really my domain. (NB: This is
another way of saying I know nothing about it.)

But It sounds strange that people would go from
e-mail to Facebook and Instagram?
Who does that?

Also aren't there anti-monopoly rules and
regulations, "checks and balances", in the US
to prevent this sort'a thing from happening in
the first place?

BTW where do you read this kind of news?
"Linux Pro"? (ISSN 1471-5678) The last time
I tried to read it at the local library, I gave
up, sine it was more like a business magazine
than a computer ditto. (There _were_
a chronicle of the Linux kernel devel scene and
an article on Perl, in all honesty.)

> There's a huge financial incentive in
> poisoning the well (aka "open platforms") to
> sell bottled water.

This sounds exciting! Let's go to cyber-war!
Remember, hacking is more than just a crime.
It's a survival trait! [1]

[1] https://sfy.ru/?script=hackers

--
underground experts united