Re: what I should do, and the "Emacs News Ezine"

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: what I should do, and the "Emacs News Ezine"
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2019 07:27:40 +0100

Amin Bandali wrote:

> If you’re suggesting we make quarterly
> compilations (digests) of projects etc
> announced on the list, then sure that’s
> one possibility.

If we exclude the development and distribution
of Emacs itself (including ELPA) - better leave
that to the pros for now - how would a map of
the Emacs World look like?

There are all the mailing lists/newsgroups.
Some are general (e.g.
help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org/gmane.emacs.help [1]),
some are specific
(erc-discuss@gnu.org/gmane.emacs.erc.general [2]).

There are tons of them [3] so to filter out the
the nuggets in a systematic way is from what
I can tell right now virtually impossible - it
would be a "best effort" policy, rather...

Then there is the EmacsWiki. [3]

Then there is the Emacs SX site. [4]

Then there is the MELPA. [5]

Then there are some things (?) going on at
Reddit. [6]

Then there are blogs (?) and apparently
a weekly newsletter (?) which I know nothing
about, which is remarkable after doing Emacs
virtually every day for 10+ years.

THEN there are the Emacs subset of IRC, namely
the channels on freenode, of which #emacs is
the most important, I take it. [7]

So there is material for an "Emacs Quarterly",
no doubt... It doesn't have to be that much
work, mostly lurking, a trained and experienced
eye, and then the familiar kill/yank. Still, it
will be work, no doubt. If it happened tho,
it'd be great :)

[1] http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-gnu-emacs
[2] http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/erc-discuss
[3] http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html