Re: Help with PHP setup

From: Jean-Christophe Helary
Subject: Re: Help with PHP setup
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2018 08:37:22 +0900

> On Jul 21, 2018, at 8:10, Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com> wrote:
>
> taariqq wrote:
>> I am trying to set emacs up so that I can use it for PHP development.
>
> I use emacs for PHP development.
>
>> What I am looking for:
>> a) A way to open the files, via my vagrant or lampp setup, in the browser.
>> b) Update the view in the browser as I save changes to the file in the
>> editor.
>> c) Switch the view in the browser as I switch from file to file and continue
>> to see the updates upon save.
>
> I hate to post something that says it can't be done.  Because almost
> always when someone says something can't be done it actually can be
> done and other people prove that to be true.  But reading the above
> makes me think that if someone does make that work that it would be
> "icky".

On a different thread I just asked how to call the file in the front buffer
without explicitly referring to its name and Eli was nice enough to point at
the obvious answer: buffer-file-name.

So we can actually have a function that replaces the path part of the file by a
localhost url and run a command that opens that in the default browser.

Nothing icky about it, we just need the correct parameters to put that together.

Jean-Christophe