Re: File .emacs not read

From: Loris Bennett
Subject: Re: File .emacs not read
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2017 16:17:41 +0100

Hi,

Philippe Delavalade <philippe.delavalade@orange.fr> writes:

> Hi.
>
> I'm using emacs 25.3.1 under linux ; I just upgraded slint-14.2 to 14.2.1rc2.
>
> Now when starting emacs as user philippe or root or others, it seems that
> ~/.emacs is not read and I obtain a window *warnings* saying :
>
> Error (initialization): User GDM has no home directory
>
> I looked for this error on google but answers don't help me.
>
> Thanks for advices.

I don't think this is an Emacs problem.  GDM sounds like the Gnome
Display Manager and on my Debian system the user 'Debian-gdm' is the
owner of my Gnome shell.  Bizarrely you seemed to have managed to log in
as a similar system user.  As this user doesn't have a home directory,
let alone a .emacs, you get the error you are seeing.

What does 'whoami' or 'id' say?  Maybe some other stuff than just slint
got upgraded and broke your display manager.

Cheers,

Loris