Re: Modify text appearance (put spaces after commas just for display)

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Modify text appearance (put spaces after commas just for display)
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2017 23:30:13 +0200

tomás wrote:

> what we perceive as "literal display" is
> already the result of a more or less complex
> mapping; its undeniable advantage is, of
> course, that it is very conventional and thus
> large swaths of that mapping are already
> well-understood and relatively stable.
> But it's no better or worse (and no "truer"
> or "falser") than any other display.

OK, I suppose both are as true. Even a MacOS
GUI is true in that sense. Only the code text
feels more authentic, more genuine because less
hands, and hands that were less
manipulative/commercial, have tinkered with it
(now the comparison being to the MacOS GUI,
nothing else).

Note that this is my first stop (at least in
this thread) in the
philosophy/perception/estethical domain, until
now I only thought of this as
a practical concern.

But yes, being a practical person for so long
trains the eyes, so when I say a new-built wood
shed "looks good", I actually mean it both
ways, it does literally look good, but it also
looks like it is functional, it is easy to get
the wood in and out, the wind will blow thru,
it won't rain on the firewood, the rain water
will be steered away from the yard and the
person getting wood, and the whole shed won't
blow to pieces first thing.

Or conversely, anyone who has awaken in a messy
room and the first steps of the day is to
navigate between empty cans, ash, and empty
pizza boxes, knows what a lousy feeling that is
and remembers that the rest of the day had all
the likelihoods of being just as lousy.

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573