Re: Unwanted cursor and menu offset/warpage

From: Skip Montanaro
Subject: Re: Unwanted cursor and menu offset/warpage
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2017 09:42:12 -0500

> Which version of Emacs is this? There were some changes recently
> regarding HiDpi screen geometry and menu placement that might improve
> matters.

Apologies. Shortly after posting, I realized I failed to give enough
context. I'm currently using 24.5.1 which comes from our internal
shared Conda environment. (Not sure why the Conda folks felt the need
to build/install Emacs, but they did. I've also tried 24.3.1 (another
locally installed version) and 23.1.1 (/usr/bin/emacs). They all
exhibit the problem to greater or lesser degrees.

It looks like 25.2 is available through Conda. Installed that. No menu
problem so far. Unfortunately, that seems to do a horrible job with
fonts (for example, no antialiasing and extremely limited font
selection).

While launching all these different versions, I noticed that (ignoring
25.2) if the Emacs window is near the left edge of my main (middle)
display or anywhere on my left display, the menu displays properly. If
it's in the middle of the main screen or anywhere to the right of that
(including anywhere on my right screen), the menus come up way to the
left of the actual Emacs window. (At least that gives me a workaround
with version <= 24.)

>> I am going to take a plunge into WinEmacs, see if it behaves any
>> better in this regard, and see how well it works with Tramp. Of
>> course, most of the files, directories and mount points I use on Linux
>> are invisible to Windows...
>
> If you can persuade your WinEmacs to use some kind of ssh, all your
> Linux files will become accessible

Yes, Tramp really shines here. It used (I think) the pscp method,
which I'd never heard of. Unfortunately, things I use all the time,
like ediff, are completely borked by the lack of a working diff
command. Also, with a shared $HOME across Linux and Windows, the Linux
and Windows versions clashed over the subject of which font to use.
Windows wanted to use some proportionally spaced font, and when I
overrode that to Courier New and saved my options, the next time the
Linux Emacs was fired up, it used something totally bizarre. So I
quickly abandoned WinEmacs.