white line appears irregularly on left side of Emacs frame in GNU / Linu

From: 42 147
Subject: white line appears irregularly on left side of Emacs frame in GNU / Linux virtual machine
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2017 01:43:26 +0200

I'm running a Debian 7 virtual machine in Windows, though I had noticed
this in the past with Ubuntu and other GNU / Linux distros running in VMs.

I'm not sure if it's a VM issue, because (a) Emacs is the only program that
manifests this white line and (b) it happens in Virtual Box and in VMWare.

I've tried some of the refresh commands, but they do nothing.

If this mailing list accepts pictures, I can attach a screenshot.