Re: alarm clocks and timers in Emacs?

From: Bob Newell
Subject: Re: alarm clocks and timers in Emacs?
Date: Sun, 02 Apr 2017 11:40:56 -1000

Devin Prater <r.d.t.prater@gmail.com> writes:

> David Mann <manndmd@gmail.com> writes:
> Thanks for this. I'll take a look. A use case for me would be to set a
> timer for when I’m on break during the day, setting a timer for maybe 10
> minutes, and recieve a sound, or something Emacspeak could say, to let
> me know that time is up so I can prepare to work again. If Org mode can
> do all that, then it is powerful indeed!

I do exactly this right now. Check out the package 'pomodoro'. This is my
startup code to make use of it.

(require 'pomodoro)
(global-set-key (kbd "<C-f1>") 'pomodoro-start)
(global-set-key (kbd "<C-f2>") 'pomodoro-stop)
(global-set-key (kbd "<C-f3>") 'pomodoro-pause)
(global-set-key (kbd "<C-f4>") 'pomodoro-resume)
(fset 'pomodoro " [ ]")
(pomodoro-add-to-mode-line)

You customize within 'pomodoro' to set your timers and your sounds. I
use a tea-kettle whistle to stop work and a factory whistle to start
again. Plenty of sound files out there to choose from.

--
Bob Newell
Honolulu, Hawai`i