Re: moving between buffers side-by-side using the keyboard

From: Sharon Kimble
Subject: Re: moving between buffers side-by-side using the keyboard
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2017 13:52:27 +0000

Joost Kremers <joostkremers@fastmail.fm> writes:

> On Wed, Feb 15 2017, Sharon Kimble wrote:
>> Filipe Silva <filipe.silva@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> try `C-x o`
>>
>> Sorry, that doesn't work but says

>> (wrong-type-argument commandp outline-minor-mode-prefix) in command-execute
>
> Well, then you seemed to have painted yourself in a corner. :-)
> `C-x o' is the default Emacs key binding to switch windows, so if it's used
> by another package, then
> either that package is not behaving, or you inadvertently changed its default
> key bindings to
> something that's already being used.
>
> You can still move to the other window by clicking in it with the mouse, or
> by calling `M-x
> other-window'. If you want to keep the binding of `C-x o' to
> `outline-minor-mode-prefix', you should
> probably use another package for window switching.

I've found that I'd assigned 'C-x o' to two things in my config file,
one of which is to 'outline-minor-mode-prefix', so I commented out the
unused one and restarted emacs.

But it still didn't work, so I searched in my config for
'outline-minor-mode-prefix' and found that I'd assigned it twice, so I
commented out the second instant, and restarted again.

But it still didn't work, so this what I've got it showing as -

 (global-set-key (kbd "C-x o") 'outline-minor-mode-prefix)

If I comment out that line and restart it shows that 'C-x o' is unassigned.

But if I do 'C-x o' now , it shows

(wrong-type-argument commandp outline-minor-mode-prefix) in command-execute

So where do I go from here please?

I don't have windmove or ace-window installed, but I'm quite prepared to
if it means that I get the required functionality.

Thanks
Sharon.
TGmeds = http://www.tgmeds.org.uk
Debian 8.6, fluxbox 1.3.5-2, emacs 25.1.1.1