Re: rmail not working in console mode

From: Robert Thorpe
Subject: Re: rmail not working in console mode
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 2016 21:13:47 +0000

Joe Westlaw <rzz@gmx.com> writes:

> I've finally managed to set up email in emacs, either reading or
> writing. The problem comes when I try to use emacs in console mode
> (tty1). Whenever I try to read mail with M-x rmail, emacs will ask me
> for my POP Password (which I guees it's my email password). Once
> entered, it will return me the following error:

Just to clarify, are you the guy who has been asking us about Rmail
recently.  Are you cptvlaze@tutamail.com ?

If so, I apologise about the extra parenthesis in that code I quoted.  I
took it from my init file and I deleted a line in-between.

> Getting mail from remote sercer ...
> movemail: Error connecting to POP server: -ERR authentication failed
> (No new mail has arrived)

Are you saying that Rmail works with GUI Emacs but it doesn't work with
console Emacs?  That's strange.  When you're using console Emacs are you
using the root account?  That could cause problems.  Also, are you using
all of your normal init file?

I'm surprised you have to put (require 'smtpmail) I don't have to do
that.

Emmanuel Berg writes:
> For example Rmail stores
> every mail in a single file! This makes it a pain
> doing anything with it with common shell tools. It is
> very un-Unixy which isn't a matter of principle but an
> obstacle dealing with it.

Using Rmail all of your mails go to the inbox file first, which is
called "RMAIL" by default.  That file is in mbox format.  You can split
those mails into other mbox files, either automatically, semi-automatically
or manually.  Any of those other mbox files can be opened in an
Rmail buffer.

The manual way is the "o" command.  The automatic way is
rmail-automatic-folder-directives and the semi-automatic way is
rmail-output-file-alist.  You can read about that in the manual (info
"(emacs) Rmail Output") and in the documentation for those variable
(i.e. C-h v rmail-automatic-folder-directives).

It's true that there are some disadvantages to this method.  I've found
the disadvantages to be more theoretical than practical though.  The
only one that matters is that if you have a large mbox file (say 50MB)
then Emacs becomes faster if you split it up.  For example, I put mail
from this list in their own mbox file and I make a new one of those
every year.

BR,
Robert Thorpe