Concern around use of eval

From: Les Harris
Subject: Concern around use of eval
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2015 23:53:51 -0700

I have a situation where I want to generate a bunch of nearly identical
predicate functions. Previously I had just manually defined these things
one by one but was never happy with such an obvious inefficiency (or
maintaining it). Tonight I decided I'd fix this and whacked them and
implemented a way of doing it where I can iterate over a list containing
labels and define these predicate functions using those labels:

,----
| (defvar lh/labels '("label1" "label2" "label3"))
|
| (defmacro lh/gen-predicate (label)
|   `(defun ,(intern (concat "lh/" label "-p")) ()
|             (member ,label *lh/system-label-store*)))
|
| (defun lh/define-predicates ()
|   (dolist (label lh/labels)
|     (eval `(lh/gen-predicate ,label))))
| (lh/define-predicates)
`----

Now this all works fine and I get my auto-generated predicates, so
success. My question/concern/niggle is around the use of (eval) in
lh/define-predicates. If I don't put eval in there then the defun the
macro evaluates into never gets evaluated itself. Stylistically, is
there a better way to do this or am I just being weird about (eval) and
should just get over it?

--
Do they only stand
By ignorance, is that their happy state,