Re: A package in a league of its own: Helm

From: solidius4747
Subject: Re: A package in a league of its own: Helm
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2014 10:08:23 -0700 (PDT)

> Okay. I have a different view here (and your description of flx
>
> requiring to precisely remenbering the structure of your target is not
>
> accurate, in my experience.) I would never switch from ido+flx if the
>
> alternative does nor provide the same fuzzy matching capabilities. After
>
> investigating a bit, the bad news is that incorporating flx into helm is
>
> not easy at all. The good news is that there are a significant interest
>
> on doing it, including flx's author. Let's see how this evolves.
>

> Thanks for answering my questions.

Consider this path: arch/x86/boot/main.c

Can you type the file name first: "main.c", then add "x86" to get the correct
file above? I'm pretty sure ido+flx can't do that, but maybe I'm missing
something.

With Helm, you can simply specify "mai x86" and it narrows to 3 candidates with
the above path at the top. The file is in Linux kernel source.

Maybe you misunderstood my statement about precise remembering project
structure. What I meant was you have to remember the correct path ordering, and
that requires you to be familiar with the directory structure. Whlie in Helm,
I'm completely new to a directory and simply know nothing about directory
structure. With Helm, I can start pop up questions like "is there a main.c that
is relate to x86 arch?" and so on.