Re: How to copy and paste from unity to emacs in the terminal version ?

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: How to copy and paste from unity to emacs in the terminal version ?
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2014 00:59:05 +0200

> I always said the Delhi oracle was more talented than
> I...

*Delphi :)

There is also the matter of speed, the "interactive
feel" someone mentioned. When I started with Linux I
used gnome-terminal which was (is?) very slow. I could
sense this because I had used the terminal on SunOS
5.10, which was invoked from Gnome just under the
black-screen icon named "Terminal", so I don't know
what it was. Anyway, I looked around and found rxvt
which was much faster (that acronym is really telling,
if you don't know it). I then switched to urxvt (or
"rxvt-unicode") probably for Unicode support, and that
was as fast as rxvt. Then I switched to the console
which I experienced as as fast, perhaps marginally
faster still. But the best thing was that it was
distraction-free or almost so without that much
configuration, and the configuration that remained come
easy... well, relatively speaking. Now I use xterm in X
which I also consider fast. If you are very sensitive
to distractions this can actually be a way of getting
super-focus, but only if you get rid of the
distractions. If you can't, it is very bad. The console
can be a quick and easy way. It all depends what you
want and how sensitive you are (or "perceptive" if you
prefer a word that rings positively).

--
underground experts united