Re: How to propose an emacs patch (Re: replacing a function with another

From: lee
Subject: Re: How to propose an emacs patch (Re: replacing a function with another one)
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2014 05:35:15 +0100

> lee <lee@yun.yagibdah.de> writes:
>
>>> Where there is a will there is a way.
>>
>> Asking here how best to go about it is a start ...  It seems they need
>> some sort of paperwork from contributers for copyright reasons, and I
>> don`t know how to propose a patch or if such paperwork is needed for
>> that.
>
> You need to come to emacs-devel.

Hm, can`t hurt to subscribe :)

> Second best option is to put it on emacs-bugs.

I just did so --- I didn`t see your post earlier.

> Just say that you are proposing a patch and would like to
> have it as part of Emacs.  Folks there will do the rest.

We`ll see --- I might have some mistakes in it because I don`t know
any better.  It works fine for me, though and I hope they take it in.

You can try it out if you like:
https://github.com/lee-/emacs/tree/master/hi-lock

> Remember you don't need to clone the repo for proposing a patch.  You
> download JUST the relevant file from the Web Interface.  You make a copy
> of it and make changes to it.  And then submit the diff between the
> files.

Yes, I sent a diff.  I`ve been updating and compiling from bzr every now
and then, so I switched to git and cloned the whole repo.  I get much
better along with git.

> emacs-devel:
> emacs-bugs:
> emacs-sources.

I`m subscribed to emacs-bugs since a while; I`ll get the others, too.

--
Knowledge is volatile and fluid.  Software is power.