Re: Caps Lock affects Ctrl+keys

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Caps Lock affects Ctrl+keys
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2014 19:24:14 +0100

Jude DaShiell <jdashiel@shellworld.net> writes:

> I'm using linux-speakup

Did you try that for this particular problem or do you
use it habitually? I have been experimenting with stuff
like that, notably emacspeak (a script that starts
Emacs with a TTS extension), only it won't shut up
because it is intended for blind people. While I can't,
uh, visualize their situation(s), even to a blind
person that's a lot of noise. Problem was that I
couldn't configure it without having it loaded, and
that made me crazy after just a few keystrokes and
cursor movements. So I checked it out with 'aptitude
show' and found that it was based on espeak, which is
available in the Debian repos as a stand-alone-tool,
and so I wrote

es () {
        espeak -s 130 -k 20 -v en -f $1 -w `basename $1 .txt`.wav
}

to create sound files from text, and it should be a
small task to setup defuns to interact with it.

For a sound file example (and the text file used as
input), check out [1]. I don't know if it can replace
reading. It will certainly not be as enjoyable. But
what do you do? All tricks to compensate for the loss
of information intake should be explored...

> over here and I don't use g.u.i. stuff on Linux I
> have to do that at work and shouldn't have to at
> home.

Right on!

> The only way I found to clear this state was to
> reboot the amd64 k8 athelon and that cleared it.

What? :)

[1] http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573/espeak_demo/

--
underground experts united: