Re: Cannot open attachments with gnus

From: Alan Schmitt
Subject: Re: Cannot open attachments with gnus
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2013 18:34:37 +0100

Hello Ted,

Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

> On Fri, 13 Dec 2013 14:02:55 +0100 Alan Schmitt
> <alan.schmitt@polytechnique.org> wrote:
>
> AS> I'm trying to use gnus as my main MUA, and there is one thing with which
> AS> I'm having trouble. When I try to open an attachment, I get an error:
>
> AS> Displaying open
> /var/folders/68/fvntfrw92y50gkk_67rkhsfw0000gn/T/emm.88866Aaw/relectures_RA_2013.pdf...done
>
> AS> The problem is that the attachment is not saved to disk: I can see the
> AS> folder /var/folders/68/fvntfrw92y50gkk_67rkhsfw0000gn/T but there is no
> AS> folder starting with emm inside it. Thus the open command fails.
>
> AS> Has someone already encountered such a bug?
>
> Gnus is trying to run a command to view the attachments in a temporary
> file.  After the command exits, the file is cleaned.  In your case the
> command fails immediately, so the "open" command is not working.

Well, the failing is that the pdf viewer tells me the file is not there.
Is it because the following happens:

- 'open foo.pdf' launches the pdf viewer with the file and returns
  immediately;
- as 'open' has returned, gnus clean up the file;
- the pdf viewer complains that the file has disappeared?

If so, is there a way to tell gnus not to clean up after opening an
attachment? (The /tmp files will eventually be deleted.)

> You can save an attachment explicitly by moving to it with `TAB' and
> then `o' to "output" it.

Thanks, this is what I ended up doing. But I would really like to be
able to open attachments without having to manually save them.

Alan