Re: RFC: Flavors - naming significant sets of customizations

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: RFC: Flavors - naming significant sets of customizations
Date: Wed, 04 Dec 2013 18:50:57 +0100

>> But if there are any really cool discussions there,
>> I guess you could post them here.
>
> The discussions are not archived.

You can flush an IRC buffer to a file on your disk. I
don't remember how to do that, and I'm not going to
find out as I'm not into IRC, but it is a simple
built-in command, that much I remember.

> What I meants was IRC is a good place to gossip as
> long as the OPs are on your sides.

No, my experience is actually that IRC isn't a good
place at all. It is disruptive ("idle/busy wait" for
small typing area. Compare this to mails (and/or Usenet
posts) which make for much more well-thought (and
persistent) communication.

Also, people seem to have a bad attitude in general on
IRC. Lots of people there just idling, never saying a
word, setting up bots to look even more imposing. IRC
was fun as long as I configured Irssi but I never used
it for any good.

> Mailing lists like this are un-suitable for such
> gossips.

I'm not gossiping. That Linus Torvalds is rude to his
programmers in the Linux kernel community is a
well-known fact. This is not a piece of information I
have acquired in close-quarters and now release to the
world. You just need to join the LKML to experience
this first hand. This has also been mentioned several
times in the press the past half year or so.

--
Emanuel Berg, programmer-for-rent. CV, projects, etc at uXu
underground experts united:  http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573