Re: How to create a directory containing spaces in dired-mode?

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: How to create a directory containing spaces in dired-mode?
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2013 15:23:52 +0200

notbob <notbob@nothome.com> writes:

>> OK, you wanted it to work, and you got answers how to make it
>> work. But - why would you want spaces in file names?
>
> Perhaps he's using emacs in Windows.  Regardless, I have emacs
> 23 on Slackware and it puts spaces in dir names,
> matter-of-factly.  Not that I ever do use spaces, but
> interesting to note it does work.

Yes, my take is that everything that is possible to do, you should
be able to do, and it doesn't matter if this is the right thing to
do or not. If you can do it, perhaps doing it will convince you
that it's not a good idea. If you can't do it, just because some
know-it-all on some forum says it is bad practice (and not because
you simply can't, for technical reasons), well, this will only get
you pissed off.

And the Unix world seems to be quite liberal on what can (rather
than "can't be") a filename. That said, again, spaces in filenames
seems to be a bad idea.

To perhaps press the argument, imagine this - not with filenames,
but variable names in code -

int apples in store = 5;

Not pretty!

--
Emanuel Berg - programmer (hire me! CV below)
computer projects: http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573