Re: Debian and Emacs 24

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: Debian and Emacs 24
Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2013 11:06:34 -0600

Francesco Mazzoli wrote:
> I have a simple question that might lack a simple answer.
>
> I use Debian wheezy, and I rely heavily on the packages on the emacs
> lisp that is shipped with Debian in various packages.  Is there a
> way I can upgrade to emacs24 while using the packaged elisp?
> Getting the elisp packages from ELPA/MELPA/Marmalade or similar is
> not that ideal since many (most?) of them are not present.

There is current discussion of this issue in the debian-backports
mailing list.  Ignore the first response which was due to a
misunderstanding of the question.  The rest is ongoing.

  http://lists.debian.org/debian-backports/2013/04/threads.html#00010

If you must have the bleeding edge then perhaps Unstable is the better
track for you.  It is not without problems.  It is the bleeding edge
after all.  And it is hard to have a bleeding edge without spilling a
little blood.  The whole point of stable releases is to avoid that but
of course that means you don't get the daily newest between releases.

Bob