Re: Activating tabbar after installation via elpa on emacs 24.2.1

From: Rainer M Krug
Subject: Re: Activating tabbar after installation via elpa on emacs 24.2.1
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2012 10:03:21 +0200

On 28/09/12 02:14, Joost Kremers wrote:
> Rainer M Krug wrote:
>> I just decided to install some standard packages via elpa, and I am running
>> into problems
>> with two packages: tabbar and color-theme
>>
>> I would like to acivate them in .emacs.d/emacs.el and start the tabbar-mode
>> and set
>> color-theme-hober
>>
>> I tried (eval-after-load "tabbar" '(tabbar-mode) )
>>
>> but this activates the tabbar mode, but does not show them. I have to
>> disable it and enable
>> it again and then can I see the tabbar.
>
> see what happens when you ditch the eval-after-load completely. i suspect
> that installing
> tabbar-mode through elpa already activates it, so what you're doing with the
> eval-after-load
> call is deactivating it again...

Still the problems, but I saw that emacs 24 has it's own way of handling color
themes, and that is
what I am using:

(load-theme 'wheatgrass t)

>> I get a similar error for
>>
>> (eval-after-load "color-theme" 'progn(
>
> this is wrong. it should be:
>
> '(progn
>
>> (color-theme-initialize) (color-theme-hober) ) )
>
> note: the common way to write lisp is to not put the closing parens on a
> separate line. just
> write:
>
> (eval-after-load "color-theme" '(progn (color-theme-initialize)
> (color-theme-hober)))
>
> looks much cleaner. (the parens are just there for the computer. as a human,
> you should ignore
> them and look at the indentation.)

Good point - I am used to pascal, R and a bit of C, where the brackets are
closing on the new
lines, but I agree - if one looks at the indentation, it is quite easy to
understand.

>> Debugger entered--Lisp error: (invalid-function (color-theme-initialize))
>> ((color-theme-initialize) (color-theme-hober))
>
> this is telling you that (color-theme-initialize) cannot be a function (nor
> name one). which
> is correct, because it's a list. a list can only be a function if its first
> element is the
> symbol `lambda'.
>
> the reason why emacs thinks (color-theme-initialize) is a function is because
> you've misplaced
> the paren with progn.
>
> use the code snippet i gave above, it should (hopefully ;-) work.

Hm - i would say many things still to learn.

Thanks a lot for your explanations,

Rainer