Re: line adjustment at the end of a sentence

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: line adjustment at the end of a sentence
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2012 18:29:34 +0200

> Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2012 08:54:50 -0400
> From: Tom Kramer <kramer@cme.nist.gov>
>
> I have had the following simple problem with emacs for over two decades,
> so I figured it was time to ask if there is a solution.

After 20 years, it's high time to "M-x report-emacs-bug RET", that's
how you bring problems to attention of the Emacs maintainers.  But see
below.

> I type the following and then I use Esc-Q to reset the paragraph.
>
> 9/19/12 Worked 9.5 hours. Spent 1 hour misc. Spent 0.5 hour RTFI. Watched
> Mitutoyo vid of IMTS QIF demo. Exchanged email messages with Bob Brown.
>
> The paragraph is reset automatically as follows. The word Brown has been
> moved from the
> end of the second line to the beginning of a third line.
>
> 9/19/12 Worked 9.5 hours. Spent 1 hour misc. Spent 0.5 hour RTFI. Watched
> Mitutoyo vid of IMTS QIF demo. Exchanged email messages with Bob
> Brown.
>
> This makes no sense. The word Brown fits easily within the right fill
> column (75 in Text Fill mode). The reset paragraph looks terrible. I get
> annoyed and move Brown back to the end of the second line. I have just
> wasted fifteen seconds or so. This happens about once each working day.
> A quarter minute for 200 days a year for 20 years is 1000 minutes I have
> wasted on this dumb problem.

I cannot reproduce this.  I get this:

9/19/12 Worked 9.5 hours. Spent 1 hour misc. Spent 0.5 hour RTFI. Watched
Mitutoyo vid of IMTS QIF demo. Exchanged email messages with Bob Brown.

as expected.

What Emacs version did you use?  Can you show a minimal recipe to reproduce
the problem starting with "emacs -Q"?