Re: Want split-window-vertically to split *vertically*

From: FreeHCK
Subject: Re: Want split-window-vertically to split *vertically*
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2011 19:41:42 +0400

"Ludwig, Mark" <ludwig.mark@siemens.com> writes:
> I am using Emacs 23.3.1 and want to know how to make
> split-window-vertically do as documented: split *vertically* no matter
> how wide the frame is.  There clearly is logic that decides to split
> *horizontally* when the frame is relatively wide.  Why does C-x 2 act
> this way when the other behavior is available (normally) on C-x 3? (I
> frequently read very wide log files.  Besides that, I know what
> I&#8217;m doing, so want Emacs to &#8220;trust&#8221; me?)

$ LANG=C apt-cache policy emacs23-nox
emacs23-nox:
  Installed: 23.2+1-7
  Candidate: 23.2+1-7

It's certainly not 23.3.1, but there is no problems here. It won't create
window smaller than some minimum size, and there is no words in
documentation that it should split window "no matter how wide window is".

Lower I put documentation of my version of this function.

(split-window-vertically &optional SIZE)

Split selected window into two windows, one above the other.
The upper window gets SIZE lines and the lower one gets the rest.
SIZE negative means the lower window gets -SIZE lines and the
upper one the rest.  With no argument, split windows equally or
close to it.  Both windows display the same buffer, now current.

If the variable `split-window-keep-point' is non-nil, both new
windows will get the same value of point as the selected window.
This is often more convenient for editing.  The upper window is
the selected window.

Otherwise, we choose window starts so as to minimize the amount of
redisplay; this is convenient on slow terminals.  The new selected
window is the one that the current value of point appears in.  The
value of point can change if the text around point is hidden by the
new mode line.

Regardless of the value of `split-window-keep-point', the upper
window is the original one and the return value is the new, lower
window.

Is this documentation up-to-date for your version Emacs?