Re: [C-u M-q] -> unfill-paragraph

From: Eric Abrahamsen
Subject: Re: [C-u M-q] -> unfill-paragraph
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2011 11:44:11 +0800

On Sun, Nov 13 2011, Tom Roche wrote:

> [Text-mode table enclosed--best viewed in monospace font.]
>
> Tom Roche Thu, 10 Nov 2011 12:29:33 -0500
>>> [How] to write one's own `fill-paragraph' façade such that
>
>>> * [my-fill-paragraph] would hide [the] emacs-provided
>>>   `fill-paragraph'
>
>>> * [my-fill-paragraph] could delegate to the emacs-provided
>>>   `fill-paragraph' except when called with prefix argument
>
> Scott Frazer Thu, 10 Nov 2011 14:00:14 -0500
>> (defun my-fill-paragraph (&optional arg)
>>   (interactive "P")
>>   (let ((fill-column (if arg (point-max) fill-column)))
>>     (fill-paragraph)))
>
>> (global-set-key (kbd "M-q") 'my-fill-paragraph)
>
> That works, except for region handling. What the code above does is
>
> +----------------------------------------------------------------+
> |                    | M-q                | C-u M-q              |
> +----------------------------------------------------------------+
> | no region selected | fill the paragraph | unfill the paragraph |
> |                    | surrounding or     | surrounding or       |
> |                    | following point    | following point      |
> +----------------------------------------------------------------+
> | region selected    | nothing            | unfills first (only) |
> |                    |                    | paragraph in region  |
> +----------------------------------------------------------------+
>
> What I want is
>
> +------------------------------------------------------------------+
> |                    | M-q                 | C-u M-q               |
> +------------------------------------------------------------------+
> | no region selected | fill the paragraph  | unfill the paragraph  |
> |                    | surrounding or      | surrounding or        |
> |                    | following point     | following point       |
> +------------------------------------------------------------------+
> | region selected    | fill all paragraphs | unfill all paragraphs |
> |                    | in the region       | in the region         |
> +------------------------------------------------------------------+
>
> Note that the wanted region-handling behaviors are those which one gets using
> M-x, i.e., with region selected
>
> * `M-x fill-paragraph' fills all paragraphs in the selected region
>
> * `M-x unfill-paragraph' unfills all paragraphs in the selected region
>
> How to fix? Apologies for elisp lameness. One Of These Days I really gotta
> sit down and learn the tool. But right now, I gotta learn more fortran first
> :-(

Scott's basic approach is still correct: bind M-q to what you want, not
what emacs provides. But then you can delegate:

(defun my-fill-paragraph (&optional arg)
  (interactive "P")
  (if arg
      (call-interactively 'unfill-paragraph)
    (call-interactively 'fill-paragraph)))

`call-interactively' ensures that whatever prefix arguments
`fill-paragraph' and `unfill-paragraph' might take (the region being the
important one here) are passed to those commands properly.

Hope that does the trick,

Eric

--
GNU Emacs 24.0.91.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.24.6)
 of 2011-11-07 on pellet