shift+up received as <select>, breaking Emacs 24 "shift select" (like pc

From: Brett Hoerner
Subject: shift+up received as <select>, breaking Emacs 24 "shift select" (like pc-select)
Date: Tue, 24 May 2011 20:01:19 -0000

If I start Emacs 24 with emacs -nw -Q in any (default configured) terminal
editor like gnome-terminal or Terminal.app, shift+up is received as "<select>".

In other words,

C-h k <shift>+<right> = right-char
C-h k <up> = previous-line

The problem is that shift+left,right,down all select/mark text in that
direction in Emacs 24, but shift+up does nothing. Now, I'm further confused by
how "shift" comes into play, since those are all bound to things like
"right-char" not something like "mark-right-char". So when I go ahead and make
a binding like,

(define-key global-map (kbd "<select>") 'previous-line)

It makes <shift>+<up> work as previous-line, but it doesn't select/mark the
text like <shift>+left,right,down magically seem to.

I think I have two separate issues (or confusions) here. Any help is greatly
appreciated.