Re: re-loading an elisp file

From: Tim X
Subject: Re: re-loading an elisp file
Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2011 10:01:58 +1100

>> I prefer to read and respond to more messages than waste time
>> editing/correcting when dealing with an informal forum like usernet
>> and when the errors rarely affect the point being discussed.
>
> Right from this thread, you would have noted that errors affect (some)
> readers.
>
> Puts these fact together and decide what makes most sense to you.
>
> 1. Every reader is a potential respondent.
> 2. You have no prior knowledge of what would prevent a reader from
>    responding.
> 3. You have raised a question with some hope that someone out there
>    would respond.

No, I responded to a question raised by someone else.

Nobody has raised any questions relating to confusion due to my use of
your instead of you're, which would suggest your points are at best
based on a possible 'theoretical' issue that could exist if the grammar
was sufficiently confusing, but is not the situation in this case.
David's original criticism has valid points in that he is probably
correct i.e. getting intot the habit of your instead of you're does have
some risks. However, my position is that I don't consider usernet
important enough to worry about this sort of minor error in grammar. I
respond quickly and don't proof read - my posts will typically be full
of such errors and frequent transposition of keys or other typos. I
don't care if these errors are archived for posterity and if asked,
would clarify any confusion caused (which has rarely ever happened and
never happened because of grammar mistakes). If others can't deal with
it or feel they cannot rely on content with such errors, they can ignore
them.

When posting a question, which I rarely find the need to do these days,
I will typically spend more effort proof reading - not so much for
grammar and typos, but more to ensure my question is as clear as
possible.

As to David's original warning regarding bad habits - well, that horse
has already bolted. I frequently use your instead of you're and am quie
aware of this bad habit. As a consequence, it is one of the things I do
look for when proof reading more important text (though, due to the
extra care taken when writing such text, this error rarely occurs). What
I cannot do is easily unlearn this habit when typing quickly -
especially when usernet responses are typically a 'flow of
consciousness' more like verbally answering a quetion than a more structured and
thought out written answer.

I suspect the reality is that your v you're just bugs David and he just
had to vent a little. My position is this is usernet and you just have
to shake your head and move on and get over it as its unlikely to change.

> ps: Some people pride themselves of their high typing speeds while few
> others pride themselves of their impeccable English.

and thats fine - each to their own. My posts are what they are. If
others find them irritating because of minor grammar errors, they are
free to ignore them. If others wish to spend more time proof reading and
correcting before they post, that is also fine. What is pointless is to
even bother worrying about the habits of others and applying your own
standards on them..

Tim

--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au