Re: Using emerge on windows? Funky errors with Temp files

From: Kevin Rodgers
Subject: Re: Using emerge on windows? Funky errors with Temp files
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2011 20:56:56 -0600

On 3/22/11 2:01 AM, David Kastrup wrote:
Stefan Monnier<monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>  writes:

Note -- I am an emerge newbie, so, um, be gentle..
BTW, is there a particular reason you use emerge rather than ediff3?
I thought emerge was only used by old-time users, all new ones
preferring the snazzier ediff3.
AFAIK, ediff does not have an interface for commandline usage as an
external merge resolution tool.

That'd be easy to add, I'm sure.

I once tried for about a week (since i would have liked to have ediff be
an option for merge resolution in git) and then gave up.  ediff is a
maze of twisty little hooks and indirections, catering without useful
documentation for everything except that which you'd actually need.

In any case, "that'd be easy to add" is nothing that is going to make
users switch.  The proof is in the pudding.

I have this in my ~/.emacs to run ediff-files.  I think you just need to add
file-c in the obvious way to call ediff3 instead:

(defun diff-command-line-args (switch)
  "Run `ediff-files' on the following 2 command line arguments (after SWITCH)."
  ;; (prog1 ...) == (pop command-line-args-left):
  (let ((file-a (prog1 (car command-line-args-left)
                  (setq command-line-args-left
                        (cdr command-line-args-left))))
        (file-b (prog1 (car command-line-args-left)
                  (setq command-line-args-left
                        (cdr command-line-args-left)))))
    (ediff-files file-a file-b)))

(setq command-switch-alist
      (cons '("--diff" . diff-command-line-args) command-switch-alist))

--
Kevin Rodgers
Denver, Colorado, USA