Re: EasyPG Assistant and emacs -nw

From: Eric S Fraga
Subject: Re: EasyPG Assistant and emacs -nw
Date: Tue, 08 Mar 2011 19:26:54 +0000

Francis Moreau <francis.moro@gmail.com> writes:

> Thierry Volpiatto <thierry.volpiatto@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Francis Moreau <francis.moro@gmail.com> writes:
>
> [...]
>

>>> Is there anyways to avoid this. I just prefer type my passphrase every
>>> time it's needed instead of having a broken interface which drivers me
>>> crazy.
>
> juste to clarify, I just prefer type my passphrase in emacs.
>
>> Try to turn off gpg-agent and uninstall pinentry.
>
> No way !
>
> I'm not going to uninstall gpg-agent because emacs is broken !

I agree with you.  The solution I use is to have the following in my
emacs initialisation:

(require 'epa)
(if (not window-system)
    (setenv "GPG_AGENT_INFO" nil)) ;to avoid graphical pop-up when on tty

this will cause emacs to use the mini-buffer for passphrase input so it
solves one problems; unfortunately, it means that the passphrase is not
cached (i.e. by gpg-agent) so you may have to type it repeatedly.  so
it's not a complete solution...

--
: Eric S Fraga (GnuPG: 0xC89193D8FFFCF67D) in Emacs 24.0.50.1 + No Gnus v0.14