foo-font-lock-keywords (was Re: cc-mode in emacs 23.2 goes into infinte

From: Jorgen Grahn
Subject: foo-font-lock-keywords (was Re: cc-mode in emacs 23.2 goes into infinte loop)
Date: 23 Jan 2011 14:05:20 GMT

On Sun, 2011-01-23, rusi wrote:
> On Jan 23, 3:41 am, jdiam...@snipthis.AcadiaU.ca wrote:
>> I have the following file...
>
> snipped
>
>>     (setq zsd-c-font-lock-keywords-3 nil)
>
> No I dont have an answer (and please excuse my hijacking your question
> for mine :-) )

You should at least have changed the subject line.

> but do you know where I can find out about things like
> foo-font-lock-keywords-{1,2,3}?
>
> Both C and lisp modes are too deep-structured for me to easily figure
> out...
>
> IOW just looking for a typical, simple language mode that uses font-
> lock correctly...

Here is a really simple one. Works for me -- if major things are
missing or wrong, I haven't noticed.  I had to google around and
experiment a lot to get it to this state.

;;; refer-mode.el -- Major mode for refer(1) files
;;
;; Copyright (C) 2005 Jörgen Grahn <jgrahn@algonet.se>
;; All right reserved.
;;
;; $Id: refer-mode.el,v 1.3 2005/10/30 17:08:15 grahn Exp $
;; $Name:  $

(defconst refer-font-lock-keywords
  '(("^%Z.*$" . font-lock-comment-face)
    ("^%[ATQ] .+$" . font-lock-keyword-face)
    ("^%[K] .+$" . font-lock-string-face)
    )
  "Syntax highlighting for Refer mode.")

(define-derived-mode refer-mode text-mode "Refer"
  "Major mode for editing refer(1) bibliographies.
This is merely text mode, plus some colorization.

A subjective quick guide to the keywords:

%T title                 %D year of publication
%A author                %I issuer/publisher
%Q corporate author      %C city of publication
[...]
Compare with the standard, but obsolete, bib-mode, which handles the
approximately same file format. (Oddly enough, Bib-mode handles
refer(1) files; refbib and refer.el handle BibTeX.)"

  (setq comment-start "%Z")
  (setq comment-start-skip "%Z\\s-*")

  (set (make-local-variable 'font-lock-defaults)
       '((refer-font-lock-keywords
          refer-font-lock-keywords
          refer-font-lock-keywords
          refer-font-lock-keywords)