Load ESS lisp file from user directory instead of from shared location

From: epowell
Subject: Load ESS lisp file from user directory instead of from shared location
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2010 12:36:52 -0800 (PST)

Hello,

I noticed that I have been using an old version of ESS (stored on a shared
location) and wanted to upgrade to the more recent one.  Rather than contact
the sysadmins, I was hoping I could do this locally.

I downloaded the newest version and placed the folder here:
~/elisp/ess-5.12/ and I added
(require 'ess-site) to my .emacs file.  Note that my .emacs file also has
(add-to-list 'load-path "~/elisp").

Unfortunately, I do not think this worked because when I open an R script
then open an R process, it says: "Type C-h m for help on ESS version 5.3.3".
(Aside question: Is there any better way to check the version of ESS which
is running?)

My first thought was that the load path was not searching in the
subdirectories of ~/elisp.  Is this true?  I tried to account for that by
also putting this in my .emacs :

(let ((default-directory "~/elisp"))
      (normal-top-level-add-to-load-path '("ess-5.12" "cedet-1.0pre7")))

This also did not help.  I'm running gnu emacs 21.4.1.