Re: c/c++ project management and debugging

From: Richard Riley
Subject: Re: c/c++ project management and debugging
Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2010 12:12:42 +0100

Gary <help-gnu-emacs@garydjones.name> writes:

> Richard Riley wrote:
>> Its certainly very weak in these areas (out of the box or unless
>> you're an elisp guru):-
>> templates and smart parameters (inline code completions - and I dont
>> mean a tab key murdering static template mechanism like yasnippet)
>
> I haven't used it for templates, if you mean stuff like C++ templates,
> but I've found Tomohiro Matsuyama's auto-complete to be *very* good for
> code completion.

I use auto-complete. But it doesnt do code completion in the true sense
of it without the semantic plugin and then its hit and miss.

It does word completion well enough eg from dictionaries, words in
buffers etc. But not smart code completion : thats an entirely
different thing.

A lot of people here have said they dont want or need it. I and many
others, having used it in things like eclipse, find it very useful. Its
almost a must have in these days of HUGE class hierarchies from Java or
even PHP libraries : remember you're not just getting variable and
method completion  - you are also getting parameter templates, context
help and the like.