Re: Why can't emacs recognize X fonts?

From: Juhapekka Tolvanen
Subject: Re: Why can't emacs recognize X fonts?
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 15:15:02 -0000

Daniel Pittman <daniel@rimspace.net> writes:

> Qiang Guo <mcknight0219@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I'm using a emacs 23.2 I built on Mac OSX under X11. However, it can't not
>> recognize fonts like Monaco which are available in X11. For example, I can
>> see fonts by xlsfonts command. Is there any compiling parameter missing ?
>
> In 23.2, xft font support (and other pluggable back-ends, which may also apply
> on your platform) are available to Emacs.  By default, I suspect it is using
> one of those.
>
> If you look in the info section "25.7 Fonts", you can there read about the
> configuration options available to you to make this work as expected.

If your Emacs uses Xft/fontconfig/Freetype/etc. for its fonts, then you can
get a list of available fonts this way:

fc-list

It gives very long output. Feel free to pipe it through grep, sort, uniq,
less etc. For example, if I want to know names of all fonts that belong to
DejaVu-family, I can do this:

% fc-list | grep -i dejavu | sort
DejaVu Sans,DejaVu Sans Condensed:style=Condensed Bold,Bold
DejaVu Sans,DejaVu Sans Condensed:style=Condensed Bold Oblique,Bold Oblique
DejaVu Sans,DejaVu Sans Condensed:style=Condensed,Book
DejaVu Sans,DejaVu Sans Condensed:style=Condensed Oblique,Oblique
DejaVu Sans,DejaVu Sans Light:style=ExtraLight
DejaVu Sans Mono:style=Bold
DejaVu Sans Mono:style=Bold Oblique
DejaVu Sans Mono:style=Book
DejaVu Sans Mono:style=Oblique
DejaVu Sans:style=Bold
DejaVu Sans:style=Bold Oblique
DejaVu Sans:style=Book
DejaVu Sans:style=Oblique
DejaVu Serif,DejaVu Serif Condensed:style=Condensed Bold,Bold
DejaVu Serif,DejaVu Serif Condensed:style=Condensed Bold Italic,Bold Italic
DejaVu Serif,DejaVu Serif Condensed:style=Condensed,Book
DejaVu Serif,DejaVu Serif Condensed:style=Condensed Italic,Italic
DejaVu Serif:style=Bold
DejaVu Serif:style=Bold Italic
DejaVu Serif:style=Book
DejaVu Serif:style=Italic

--
Juhapekka "naula" Tolvanen * http colon slash slash iki dot fi slash juhtolv
"Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur."