Re: Why is Emacs so slow when used remotely?

From: Giacomo Boffi
Subject: Re: Why is Emacs so slow when used remotely?
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 15:29:57 -0000

"Russ P." <russ.paielli@gmail.com> writes:

> On Sep 24, 8:45 am, Giacomo Boffi <giacomo.bo...@polimi.it> wrote:
>> "Russ P." <russ.paie...@gmail.com> writes:
>> > As I explained a few days ago, I am trying to switch from XEmacs to
>> > Emacs so I can use Ensime (an Emacs-based IDE for Scala). I finally
>> > got my .emacs file debugged, but now I am finding that Emacs seems to
>> > be very slow when used remotely.
>>
>> > When I work from home, I login from one Linux machine to another using
>> > ssh -X
>>
>> is sshfs not an option for you?
>
> I looked up sshfs, and it looks interesting. Before I go to the
> trouble of installing it, can anyone tell me something about its
> performance and how it should be used.

here i am

> Would I open Emacs locally on my home machine and edit remote files?

yes, you "cd mount_point" and the it's normal editing

> What are the delays like?

if you're on a link barely not fast enough for X, very short

the real difference between sshfs and tramp is that sshfs is
transparent to all programs, tramp is only for emacs

if Ensime uses external utilities, sshfs would seem more appropriate

--
la panna resta più pannosa.                       -- Ruggine, in IHC