Re: line-move-visual

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: line-move-visual
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 15:13:57 -0000

Uday S Reddy <uDOTsDOTreddy@cs.bham.ac.uk> writes:

> The question is really whether it should have been made the default.
>
> Every time I narrowed down to that issue in this thread, the
> participants have fallen silent (first Xah Lee then Tim Cross, Alan
> Mackenzie and Stefan himself).  I guess there is no good answer to it.

There is no simple answer.  And there is no point in working on the
aspects of a complex answer where it is not relevant.

The relevant place is the developer list.

> There is no need for us to beat a dead horse.  If the developers
> accept that it is a bad idea to introduce backward-incompatible
> changes for flimsy reasons, Emacs will be a more useful system for all
> of us than it currently is.

That's beating a dead horse, and an imaginary one as well.

> Fortunately, nothing major is going to fall apart as a result of
> next-line' changing its meaning.  But I hope that we can arrest this
> trend right here so that we don't have to put up with more pain in
> future.

You are not going to stop development of Emacs single-handedly, and you
will not be "arresting" any trend without working with developers when
the design decisions are being discussed and made.

Venting may be fun, but it will not change things.

--
David Kastrup