Re: line-move-visual

From: Tim X
Subject: Re: line-move-visual
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 15:12:16 -0000

Uday S Reddy <uDOTsDOTreddy@cs.bham.ac.uk> writes:

> On 6/6/2010 10:39 AM, David Kastrup wrote:
>
>> Free software is based on the premise of empowering the recipient of
>> software to change and adapting it according to his own needs.
>>
>> Pampering to the needs of users who are not interested in changing and
>> adapting the software according to their needs is not a major priority.
>>
>> Feel free to fork any free software which does not behave like you want
>> it: you have the power.  You are not dependent on upstream developers.
>
> Good point.  But not all users have the time or the ability to do their own
> changing or forking or even significant customization.  Allowing the
> *possibility* of users to change things is not the same as *expecting* them
> to change things.
>
> In this particular instance, the customization needed is not a big deal: set
> line-move-visual to nil.  Almost everybody can do it.  But the time they had
> to spend in discovering that they needed to change it is what has been
> significant.  (In fact, after this thread started, I began to wonder if VM
> might be vulnerable to the problem as well, and went and checked if there
> were calls to next-line anywhere.  There were three of them!)

The change was clearly documented in the NEWS file, which also explained
how to restore the old behavior. Any user who upgrades to a new version
and is too lazy to check the NEWS file (and the PROBLEMS file for that
matter), especially after observing unexpected or different behavior
gets what they deserve.

Tim

--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au