Re: Smooth scrolling

From: Deniz Dogan
Subject: Re: Smooth scrolling
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 2010 23:21:21 +0200

2010/7/6 Marcelo de Moraes Serpa <celoserpa@gmail.com>:
> Emacs on OSX Snow Leopard, v. 23.2. I'd like wheel-scrolling that
> works like Textmate's scrolling. It's not really line by line, I think
> it is pixel-based. Either way, with Textmate, you can scroll a huge
> file with the mouse without it jumping large portions, and it also
> doesn't have rendering glitches. Emacs does. The keyboard scrolling
> for me is fine -- I mainly use C-r/s when using the keyboard, anyway.

I understand exactly what you mean by pixel-based scrolling. This is
how many other editors work, e.g. Notepad or Textmate. I'd love to
have that as well, but I don't think there is anything like that in
Emacs today. Many parts of Emacs are about columns and lines, e.g. the
size of frames are "measured" in columns and lines.

--
Deniz Dogan