Re: visually mark off 80th column?

From: Brendan Miller
Subject: Re: visually mark off 80th column?
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2010 16:02:26 -0800

vline would be ideal... but I don't see a way to pin highlighting to
the 80th column.

Based on this thread and some others I've come up with this using the
highlight-80+ package.

;; highlight all characters past 80
(require 'highlight-80+)
(dolist (hook '(emacs-lisp-mode-hook
                cperl-mode-hook
                shell-mode-hook
                text-mode-hook
                change-log-mode-hook
                makefile-mode-hook
                message-mode-hook
                texinfo-mode-hook
                c-mode-common-hook
                python-mode-hook))
  (add-hook hook
            '(lambda () (highlight-80+-mode))))

One minor point, is I really want this to apply to *all* modes, not
just the ones I thought to list here. Is there any global mode hook
that applies to everything? The only files I would ever edit with
emacs would have the 80 line rule apply to them i.e. I don't do word
processing in emacs.